Skills/ Drive test Overview:
- The Skills/ Drive test is used to ensure you are able to legally and safely drive on the roadway.
- An examiner will ride with you to ensure that the vehicle is safe to drive, that you maintain control of the vehicle, and that you obey the rules of the road.
- Applicants must pass the skills test with a score of 80 out of 100 possible points
- A passing test score is good for one year.
- Applicants have the option to use their personal car or school car
- All fees must be paid prior to the test beginning. (We accept all major credit cards, cash, money order but no personal checks)
- Picture ID (e.g. government-issued ID)
- WA ID # (a random number that starts WDL or with the first five letters of your last name)
- If you are required to have an interlock device, then you must test in your own car.
- Must have current registration and proof of insurance.
- If you are required to have an Interlock device, you must test in a vehicle with one.
- Valid Sr-22 insurance
- The vehicle must be legally and safely operable on the public roads
- All brake lights, turn signals, and seatbelts must be functional.
- The license plate must be on both the front and back of the vehicle, with current tabs on the backplate
- No windshield crack
- Driver & Passenger side doors must open and close from inside and outside.
- Driver’s window must roll down far enough to show hand signals.
- All mirrors are required (left, inside, and right)
- If raining, windshield wipers must function and the defroster system must work properly to defog the windows
- Tires must meet state requirements for tire tread (no bald tires)
Retaking Skills/ Drive test:
The applicant can retake the Skills/ Drive test as many times as necessary with no waiting period to pass. However, each time you take the test the fee will be applied.
Scores for the Skills/ Drive test will be reported to the Department of Licensing electronically within 24 hours. Passing the Skills/ Drive test does not guarantee that an applicant will be issued a driver’s license. The DOL will determine if an applicant has met all the licensing requirements. The Department of Licensing reserves the right to retest applicants who complete the test through us. Retesting is done at random and at no cost to the applicant.
What will I be tested on?
- Starting your vehicle
- Controlling the vehicle, do you:
- Use the gas pedal, brake, steering wheel, and other controls correctly?
- Change your speed to suit the number and speed of other vehicles, pedestrians, road conditions, weather conditions, construction, amount of light, and the distance you can see ahead?
- Driving in traffic, do you:
- Use the proper lane?
- Signal to change lanes?
- Change lanes carefully?
- Follow other vehicles at a safe distance?
- Turn your head and look back before changing lanes?
- Signal the proper distance before turning?
- Obeying traffic signals and signs, do you:
- Turn into the proper lane without cutting the lane or going wide into the improper lane?
- Driving through blind or crowded intersections, do you:
- Scan carefully for signs, signals, pedestrians, and other vehicles?
- Yield and take the right-of-way correctly?
- Do you stop smoothly and at the right spot?
- Can you stop quickly and safely in an emergency?
- Backing up
- Do you look over your right shoulder?
- Can you back in a straight line?
- Do you have complete control of your car?
- Judging distance, do you stay a safe distance away from:
- Other cars when following or passing, or People walking or riding on the roadway?
- Respecting the rights of others
- Are you courteous to other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists?
- Do you pay full attention to the driving task?
- Performing specific maneuvers, can you successfully complete all of the following?
- Arms signals for right/left turn and slow or stop. (You may use arm signals during the test.)
- A brake reaction test/emergency stop.
- Parking on a hill.
- Parallel parking.
- Simulating backing out of driveway or alley into traffic using a corner.
Terms and Conditions:
1 BAL DRIVING SCHOOL, LLC reserves the right to refuse the service; in that case, you may test at the DOL. If you need a special service such as testing in a foreign language or requires special assistance, the DOL requires that you take the test with them